Home destroyed in early morning house fire off Vineville Ave. in Macon

Crews are battling a large house fire on the 100 block of Lamar Street in Macon Friday morning/Tavares Jones (WGXA)

MACON, Ga -- Fire crews battled a large fire at a home in the 100 block of Lamar Street, just off of Vineville Avenue, in Macon Friday morning. The home is a total loss, investigators say.

Battalion Chief Ferrell Cromer said the call came in just after 8:30 a.m., reporting heavy smoke and people possibly trapped inside.

Local business owner Ken French, who reported the fire, said multiple people lived at the multi-unit home.

"Flames went out the window of the house," he said. "So we called the fire department immediately and ran over knocking on the windows and doors to make sure there was nobody in the house."

It took roughly 20 firefighters and two ladder trucks about two hours to help put the fire out.

Fire Investigator Ben Gleaton determined the home was a total loss and the fire was started by a stove that was left unattended by one of the occupants.

Everyone who lived at the home made it out safely and no injuries were reported.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off