Middle Georgia Recruiting Roundup
MACON, Ga. -- Today was the earliest National Signing Day in the history of college football, and several local football stars took advantage and signed their letters of intent today.
Here is a compiled list of some of the notable signees today:
Kearis Jackson, WR Peach Co. (Signed with UGA)
- Jackson is one of the bigger names in UGA's highly touted 2018 class. He committed back in August, and has been an active recruiter to fellow prospects in this class. He chose Georgia over Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Florida, LSU, Michigan and Ohio State.
Tobe Umerah, DL Stratford (Signed with Stanford)
- Umerah will head all the way across the country to play for Stanford next season. He finished this season with 91 tackles and 15 tackles for loss. He says the deciding factor was the academics that Stanford has to offer, and he's also excited to live somewhere away from home so he can experience something new.
Christian Armstrong, OL Warner Robins (Signed with FSU)
- Armstrong was a highly sought-after OL prospect, and felt that FSU was the right fit for him even after Jimbo Fisher left. Armstrong says he loves incoming coach Willie Taggart and is very excited to play for him in Tallahassee. He will graduate this December and enroll early at FSU starting in January.
Trey Hill, OL Houston County (Signed with UGA)
- Georgia fans have Sam Pittman to thank for landing the No. 2 offensive lineman in the country. Hill says that he chose Georgia because it felt like home, and Pittman is "probably the best o-line coach in the country."
Quez Jackson, LB Peach Co. (Signed with Georgia Tech)
- Jackson is excited about being rivals with former teammate Kearis Jackson, and says there's no other place he'd rather play than Atlanta. He's ready to get back to practice and start working again, he says he's not a fan of the offseason.
Mitchell Fineran, K Peach CO. (Signed with Samford)
- Fineran received his offer from Samford the week after hitting a 50-yard field goal in the 3A state championship game, and accepted the offer very shortly after that.
Isaiah Goolsby, OL Southwest (Signed with Mercer)
- Local offensive lineman Goolsby is staying home to play his college ball, signing today to be a Mercer Bear. He was one of 11 recruits to sign for Mercer today.
Jatavious Harris, WR Baldwin (Signed with Louisville)
- Harris kept his decision pretty close to the chest, he didn't announce where he was signing until Dec. 19, the day before National Signing Day. And he didn't make his decision to choose Louisville over Pittsburgh until the night before that. Harris says that even Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino didn't know he was signing until the day of his announcement.