GBI investigating 3 separate officer-involved shootings that happened on same day


The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) is investigating three officer-involved shootings that happened within 24 hours this week.

The first reportedly happened in in Walton County Thursday morning. The GBI reported that 911 got a call just before 9 a.m. about a man with a gun in the 400 block of E. Marable St. in Monroe.

When Monroe officers got to the home, they reportedly found 63-year-old Mahlon Edward Summerour wearing what looked like a curtain over his clothes and holding a weapon. Officers later discovered the weapon was a replica Thompson submachine gun.

Officers said Summerour pointed the weapon at one of them and police fired at the suspect, hitting him in the chest. Emergency crews took Summerour to a hospital where he later passed away.

Later Thursday morning, the GBI asked the Georgia State Patrol (GSP) to investigate an officer-involved shooting that happened around 11 a.m.

GSP officers reportedly made a traffic stop on I-75 south near exit 293 and put the female driver and male passenger in separate vehicles when they noticed the suspects were acting suspicious.

A GSP trooper found drugs in the suspects' vehicle and went up to 27-year-old Kenneth Martin Anderson to search him. While the trooper tried to search Anderson, who was handcuffed with his hands behind his back, the suspect somehow got a hold of a handgun and shot the officer three times, said the GBI.

According to the GBI two officers shot back and struck Anderson "multiple times." EMS got to the scene and tried to assist, but Anderson later died at the hospital.

The trooper who was shot was wearing a protective ballistic vest and found to have suffered from blunt force impact trauma before being released from the hospital, the GBI said.

The female driver was taken to Bartow County Jail and is expected to receive charges from the sheriff's office there.

A third officer-involved shooting that happened Thursday happened in Terrell County around 7:45 p.m. at a road block on Highway 520 in Richland, according to the GBI.

The agency said that Richland police stopped 30-year-old Davion Omar Watson, of Albany, who didn't show officers his identification when asked for it and drove off.

Officers reportedly drove after Watson through Stewart, Webster and Terrell counties. Watson hit an officer's vehicle in Webster's County and fired a gun at an officer's vehicle in Terrell County.

An officer fired back at Watson and the chase ended on S. Main St. in Dawson in front of a convenience store, according to the GBI. Watson tried to run off behind the store but officers found, arrested and booked him into Terrell County Jail.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off