GBI: Shooting death of man in Hancock Co. caused by 'self-inflicted' wounds

    Dequane Rayshun Williams/Courtesy Mikaila Hines

    HANCOCK COUNTY, Ga. -- The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said the shooting death of a 22-year-old man in Sparta on Wednesday was caused by "self-inflicted" wounds.

    Investigators said at around 6:15 p.m. on December 12, deputies stopped a vehicle on Fairmont Rd. in Sparta, a release from the GBI said.

    The GBI said its agency was asked to help the Hancock County Sheriff's Office with the investigation of Williams' death by 6:30 p.m.

    According to the release, passenger Dequane Rayshun Williams, got out of the vehicle. A deputy reportedly recognized him as having an active arrest warrant, and Williams attempted to run away.

    Another Hancock County deputy and a Georgia State Patrol Trooper ran after Williams, who then pointed a pistol towards one of the deputies, the release said.

    According to the GBI, the GSP Trooper "made brief physical contact with Williams and shortly thereafter, Williams’ weapon discharged multiple times, striking Williams."

    Williams' fiance, Mikaila Hines, told WGXA that she just wants answers about what happened in those few minutes.

    "I do want to know what happen to him. And I want to believe that's what happened," said Hines. "We were riding me, him, his friend, Jerica and Samantha, we were passing the park. I guess they saw her headlight out, that's what they said, and we got stopped."

    Hines and Dequane were set to get married in February, but Wednesday evening changed that.

    Jerica Wyatt asked, "Then they got reports online saying it's not an officer-involved shooting, so who shot? He shot himself?"

    Williams died at the scene and the GBI said none of the law enforcement officers present fired their weapons. According to the release, his "wounds are self-inflicted."

    Williams' fiance said he was happy and was only running because he didn't want to go to jail. "Five shots, the next thing I hear, 'Step out of the car, block the roads off'," Hines said.

    His body was reportedly taken to the GBI's Crime Lab and officials are waiting on the final results of his autopsy.

    The release said the GBI will keep investigating this case and hand the completed case file over to the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...