Milledgeville woman reunites with team that saved her life during house fire
MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. -- On Thursday, a Milledgeville woman had the opportunity to thank the team of first responders who got her safely out of her home after a fire broke out on New Years Day.
Dorothy Brown awoke in the early hours of Jan. 1 this year to find that her home was filled with smoke and her ADT smoke alarm was sounding. She received a call from ADT to ask her if she was okay.
After finding that Brown was confused and scared and didn't know where the smoke was coming from, the ADT operater contacted the Baldwin County Fire Department.
Firefighters with the department were at Brown's home within three minutes and safely got her out. They also discovered that the fire had started below Brown's home. They were able to cut a hole in the floor and put the blaze out before the entire house caught fire.
On Thursday, ADT provided an opportunity for Brown to meet the men and women who helped her to get out of her burning home and also donated $5,000 to the Baldwin County Fire Department.
Deryl Nelson, who was one of the firefighters who got Brown out of the home at the time of the fire, said that because he sometimes sees fire victims not make it out alive, it was a blessing to see Brown's smile Thursday and know that he made a difference.
Nelson said that the money donated from ADT will go towards their fire prevention department, specifically on a Sparky the Dog costume that will help with their outreach to children to get them engaged and teach them what to do when a fire happens.
Nelson said that thanks to the quick thinking and teamwork between ADT and the fire department, Brown was able to get out alive and her home was saved.