FORSYTH, Ga. -- A historic women's college that now serves law enforcement sits right in the heart of Forsyth: Tift College.
Tift College started as a private liberal arts women's college in 1849, originally named Forsyth Female Collegiate Institute. Later is was named Monroe College.
Finally, the school was named Tift College after 1907 graduate Bessie Tift.
The school merged with Mercer University in Macon and became affiliated with the Georgia Baptist Convention.
The college closed shop in 1987 and is now headquarters for the Georgai Department of Corrections.
The area is called the State Offices South at Tift College and is about 275 acres.