Forsyth: Named for an American political leader
FORSYTH, Ga. -- Monroe County, with its county seat being the city of Forsyth, was created in 1822.
The land for the city, which covered about 200 acres, was purchased the following year for $700.
The city was named for John Forsyth, an American political leader from Virginia. He graduated from Princeton in 1799 and became an attorney in the early 1800s. He was part of the House of Representatives and Senate before becoming the governor of Georgia and secretary of state.
In 1827, the city of Forsyth was made of stores, churches, the courthouse and a jail. In fact, the first courthouse was built just out of logs.
Life changed in Monroe County in 1838 when the railroad came through the town. Forsyth was home to the very first passenger rail service.
After the railroad came the cotton industry.