Indiana man dances on ex-girlfriend's roof after lighting home on fire

    INDIANAPOLIS (SINCLAIR BROADCAST GROUP) -- A man was taken into custody in Indianapolis after crashing his girlfriend's car into a utility pole, setting fire to her home and dancing on the roof as the house burned, according to police.

    Officers from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were called to a home on Layman Avenue in Indianapolis just after 10:30 a.m. on Monday, according to a police advisory.

    Prior to police arriving at the scene, a 25-year-old man had gone to his girlfriend's home, "forcefully" took her keys, driven her car "recklessly" up the street and destroyed a utility pole and two fences with the vehicle. When the car became inoperable the man went and sat in a lawn chair in the driveway, which is where police encountered him.

    CNN has identified the man as 25-year-old Matthew Russ. When police approached the driveway they saw Russ sitting in the lawn chair holding a large butcher knife, authorities said.

    When officers approached Russ and tried to get him to put the weapon down, he ran inside the home. His girlfriend had left the home prior to his retreating inside, according to police.

    Police observed Russ "acting very bizarre" in the home as they looked through a front window.

    While "attempting to coax" Russ out of the house, officers noticed smoke coming from the rear of the residence, police said. Russ then ran to an upstairs bathroom where he could be seen holding the knife.

    Fire and SWAT teams were called as Russ remained in the burning house.

    Firefighters tried to help Russ escape by placing a ladder near the window, but the man refused assistance and kicked the ladder away multiple times, police reported.

    Russ eventually climbed out the window and onto the roof of the front porch, police said.

    Negotiators tried to negotiate with Russ on the front porch, but he "continued to display bizarre behavior" and started dancing at one point, police said.

    With the fire continuing to burn, police described, Russ' safety became "a real concern."

    Two "separate less than lethal" devices were used to incapacitate the Russ at which point he was taken into custody, police said. Authorities used a taser and shot rubber bullets at Russ to incapacitate him and then lowered him off the roof, CNN reported.

    Russ received medical treatment on the scene and had not been injured by the fire or smoke, police said.

    Russ was transported to a local hospital for a mental health evaluation and will most likely face preliminary charges pending further investigation. No firefighters, police officers or civilians were injured during the incident, according to police.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...